Tuesday 24 February 2009

Won't somebody please think of the children

Gah.

I can talk. But. What is it about the internet that allows people to voice opinions that would seem a bit OTT in Mein Kampf? For a while I’ve been tracking Speak You’re Branes, an amusing if throw-your-head-at-a-wall-sobering collection of comments scraped from the barrel of the BBC’s Have Your Say word vomitorium, then exposed to public ridicule. Funny. It’s just a pity this seems to be the tip of the iceberg we're making light of here.

(Also, what is it about the internet that allows the continual recycling of clichés, eh? Answers on a postcard...)

Anyhoo, my point is that what should be a valid exercise in democracy just makes you hate people even more. We're just an infinite number of monkeys shitting on to our keyboards.

It’s not enough that the fuckers kickoff about Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand without having actually heard what they are supposed to be offended by. Now they are appalled that our children are being subjected to disabled people on TV. In their own living rooms. It’ll be black people next.

Take these considered words from concerned parent "Barry":
"Is it just me, or does anyone else think the new woman presenter on Cbeebies [Cerrie Burnell, who has one arm that ends at her elbow and chooses not to use a prosthetic limb, the cowbag] may scare the kids because of her disability?

"I didn't want to let my children watch the filler bits on the bedtime hour last night because I know it would have played on my eldest daughter's mind and possibly caused sleep problems... and yes, this is a serious post."

I think your views might scare your children. Also, as a mate pointed out, the Paralympics must blow your mind.

And don't think the irony of me moaning on about folk on the internet moaning has escaped me.

2 comments:

Marigold Alley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marigold Alley said...

I admit to finding Speak Your Branes hugely entertaining too, but sometimes wonder whether the comments on the comments aren't just as breathlessly angry as the comments that are being commented on. It's a right vicious circle, don't you agree? Is no-one allowed to have an opinion anymore without someone else ranting, raving and laughing at the inadequacies of their logic, not to mention their grammar? Or is it all just part of the richness of the internet blog/comment paradigm. Feel free to shoot me down in flames...